Minor injury units

If you are not sure what type of NHS support you need contact NHS 111. Call 111 or visit the NHS website at any time of day or night, to find out where you should go and when.

By using 111, expert clinicians will arrange for you to be seen at the emergency department or at another unit.

Using NHS 111 means you will get the right treatment, more quickly, and probably closer to home as well. If the unit you attend is very busy, we may direct you to another service or unit.

People with serious or life-threatening illnesses or injuries. Please continue to dial 999 as before.

What is a minor injury unit? 

Minor injury units (MIUs) are located in community hospitals and are run by highly skilled specialist clinicians. They treat a range of minor conditions, which have occurred during the previous 14 days including.

  • sprains and strains
  • minor fractures
  • traumatic wound infections (not surgical wounds)
  • minor burns and scalds
  • head injuries (where the person has not been unconscious)
  • insect and animal bites and stings
  • minor eye injuries
  • cuts, bruising and grazes.

Getting help for a minor injury

You can walk into any of our minor injury units. If you are not sure if the minor injury unit is the NHS service you need, use NHS 111 to check.