Volunteers in Partnership (VIP) is an initiative developed by Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust’s (CFT) Council of Governors. Governors recognise that the involvement of volunteers across CFT enhances its services.
Volunteers are recruited from the communities we serve including people who are retired, students, employed and unemployed. Volunteers in Partnership is designed to provide opportunities for volunteers to participate in a range of different roles throughout the Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. The scheme provides many opportunities for people to use and enhance their skills or share their knowledge, develop a sense of purpose or increase their self-confidence and it offers opportunities to learn and gain experience in many areas of the Trust.
Current Volunteering Opportunities
We currently have a variety of opportunities for people who have a caring nature and a couple of hours a week to spare:
- Activity volunteers – for our Mental Health wards and Resource centres – assisting with a variety of groups offering activities such as quizzes, music, cookery, gardening or exercise.
- Dementia ward volunteers – helping with hymns, music and ‘pub’ sing-alongs, or garden activities, reminiscence and chatting groups.
- Therapy Dog volunteers – for our wards in Community and Mental Health hospitals throughout Cornwall. Befrienders and Mealtime Assistants for Community Hospital Wards
- Meeters and Greeters for Bodmin and Camborne Redruth Community Hospitals
- Volunteers for Sowenna, the Adolescent Mental Health Unit due to open in July 2019.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities please contact us.
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers may have many roles such as:
- Help a clinician to run an activity group on a Mental Health ward, which could include craft workshops, healthy eating, exercise, reading or music
- Visit community hospital wards as a Befriender to provide conversation and company
- Provide Spiritual and Pastoral support on the wards
- Meet and Greet in community hospitals
- Visit wards/centres with Therapy dogs
- Assist with activities on the Dementia ward
- Provide exercise sessions such as Tai Chi, Yoga, Keep Fit (qualifications required)
Benefits to you
Volunteering gives you the opportunity to meet others, enjoy sharing your knowledge and gain an insight into the Trust’s services. It also provides you with valuable skills and experience that may benefit your future employability.
As a volunteer you will be provided with all relevant training for your role.
How do I apply?
Please complete the application form in the resources section below, or contact the Volunteers In Partnership office by post, email or telephone.
Therapy Dogs Nationwide
Therapy Dogs Nationwide is a national Charity where visiting volunteers take their own dogs into establishments to give comfort, distraction, and stimulation. We regularly visit local hospitals and hospices where patients and staff interact with our dogs and look forward to their visits
Visit Therapy Dogs Nationwide http://www.tdn.org.uk/
The Engineers House
c/o Shaw House
Telephone: 01726 873253