Acute Care at Home
The Acute Care at Home service provides advanced nursing care and support to patients in their own homes. The aim is to prevent an admission or support an early discharge from hospital.
Acute Care at Home are a team of highly qualified, experienced nurses who can provide advanced assessment skills and treatment to patients in their own homes. This will avoid a patient being admitted to an acute setting.
- The patient must be over the age of 18.
- The patient has telephone access at home.
- The patient must agree to treatment being given at home.
Types of conditions that can be managed by the team include:
- Chest Infections / Bronchiectasis / COPD
- Cellulitis / Osteomyelitis
- Heart failure / Endocarditis
- Pneumonia / Tonsillitis
- Urinary Tract Infection / Pyelonephritis
- Post-operative infections
- Liver Abscess
- Nebuliser Therapy (short term use).
- Blood Transfusions & Platelets (for house bound patients only).
The team is skilled in providing intensive nursing support at home. Skills include:
- IV Therapy (including re-hydration, antibiotics, anti-emetics and diuretics)
- Respiratory and cardiovascular assessment and examination
- We currently offer a maximum BD service.
General Information for Referrers:
- The Acute Care at Home Team is available from 8am – 10pm, 7 days a week.
- A co-ordinator is in the office Monday – Friday and there is an answerphone for non-urgent messages. We can also be contacted via Bodmin Switchboard (01208 251300).
- We hold weekly ward round meetings where we discuss each of our patient’s with Dr Evans – Microbiologist and Dr Holland – ITU Consultant.
Any health professional can make a referral to the team however, the patient’s GP needs to have assessed community patients within 24 hours of referral. The GP must be prepared to maintain medical responsibility while the patient is treated by the team; or, in the case of out of hours until the patient’s own GP is available.[/panel]
Central and West Team
Truro Health Park
Truro, TR1 2JA
East and North Team
St Barnabas Hospital
Higher Port View
8am – 10pm seven days a week